Tuesday, May 26, 2015

DAY TWELVE!!!!!

Today was the big day! The day I've been desperately waiting for, well, twelve days! I had my second post op appointment today and I got to open my mouth for the first time since surgery! If you've ever seen Hocus Pocus, I felt like Billy the zombie when he cut the stitches that were holding his mouth shut and he coughed out dust and leaves! It was the craziest feeling. The best part was feeling my new airway. Obviously, it's been great breathing through my nose, but it was absolutely amazing breathing through my mouth! Every breath felt so easy and full and wonderful. As you can imagine, it's pretty tough to open my mouth because my jaw was just operated on and then sat shut for almost two weeks. It was kinda scary trying to open my jaw because it feels really unsteady. I still have a lot of healing to do, but I'm so happy with my progress.

At this point, my swelling has gone down a lot, but there's definitely still a good deal of it. Some swelling can remain for up to about 6 months, so I may not really see the finished product for a while, but honestly, I'm already really happy with the way I look. My gums aren't showing all the time, my nose isn't droopy, and I have a jawline! Did I mention I CAN BREATHE!?

Oh, the BEST part of today....I GOT TO EAT REAL FOOD! I've never been so excited for anything in my life. I'm now allowed to take my rubber bands off and take my splint out for one hour, three times a day for the next nine days to eat. My parents and my fiancé and I went out to Houlihan's right after my appointment so I could have potato soup. It was awesome. I had to pour out all the soup onto a plate and mash up all the potatoes and I was only able to finish half of the little bowl of soup, but it was such a relief. The hardest part of not being able to eat is knowing that you're not allowed to eat. As much as you want to, you physically aren't allowed to put a piece of food past your teeth. It's really great for seeing how much self control you have though! :P

The other interesting thing about my experience today was actually being able to talk! Let me tell you how fun it's been playing Charades with everyone for the past twelve days.... It's pretty funny at times, but now that I need to communicate things other than "pain medicine," "ice pack," and "water," it's starting to get really frustrating. I have too many things to say to keep writing them on my little white board. But anyway, my voice sounds pretty weird. Obviously my face is still swollen and things are still adjusting and settling. I have a little bit of a lisp at the moment but honestly it sounds cute. I reminded myself of my older brother when he was pre-pubescent and had a spreader in the roof of his mouth. Quite funny. :)

Here's my day twelve pictures and a video from the restaurant! It's a little hard to understand me, but gimme a break, I haven't talked in twelve days! :)





I'm finally starting to feel like myself. I'm getting my strength, energy, and morale back after a very trying twelve days. I'm excited to see where I go from here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment